KISS has been declared a Deemed University (U/S 3 of UGC Act, 1956) by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India on August 25, 2017. With this, it has become the First university exclusively for tribal students in India and in the entire world.
Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS), the largest tribal institute of the world, provides food, accommodation, health care and all the basic necessities of life absolutely free to 50,000 (27,500 existing students, 12,500 well placed alumni and 10,000 students in its various satellite centres) poorest of the poor tribal children to pursue their studies here from KG to PG as well as vocational training. KISS, as a unique experiment to eradicate poverty through education and use of education as a tool to empower the underprivileged section of the society and provide sustainable employment, is being hailed by statesmen, policy makers, planners, social workers from India and abroad.
- Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) since 2015 – the highest recognition to a non-government organization from the United Nations.
- Champion Level-Platinum Certification by GuideStar India for NGO Transparency (2016)
- Among top 189 NGOs of the world and 10 best NGOs of India in the prestigious ranking of world NGOs published in 2019 by NGO Advisor, a Geneva-based independent media organization.
- Programmes and activities aligned to Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the UN and proactively working to achieve the goals.
- Tie-ups with many world organizations including UNESCO, UNICEF, UNFPA, and US Federal Government.
- Visited and appreciated by high dignitaries, including Heads of State, Ambassadors, from 70 countries.
- 15 Nobel Laureates have visited the Institute.